TOMSK GUIDE   


Tomsk was founded in 1604 by Tsar Boris Godunov's instructions, on the right bank of the river Tom, where the river Ushaika flows into the Tom. According to the historian Miller G.F. "You could hardly find a better place in this country ". Two hundred Cossacks under the command of V.Tirkov and G. Pisemskiy came on the Tomsk earth in order to build a fortress. From that moment Tomsk has got a great importance in conquest of foreigners, who lived in the south from Tomsk.

There were many rises and falls in the history of Tomsk. The status of town Tomsk assumed in 1629, and in 1643 Tomsk was burned down completely. A new town was built instead. It was a fortress with a wooden wall around containing 6 towers.

Horse Carrying Service arose in Tomsk in 1738 . It was a good help for horse-drivers, smiths and craftsmen. Many inns and storage rooms were built. The town was growing up.

In 1804 according to the emperor Alexander's decree Tomsk became the administrative centre of a new region consisting of the territories of Altai, Novosibirsk, and Kemerovo, East-Kazakhstan, Tomsk oblast and a part of Krasnoyarsk region. A new page was written in the history of the town. At that time there were organized government and police departments, magistrate. Stone buildings, such as churches, administrative buildings and the houses of wealthy people appeared instead of wooden houses.

By the end of the XIX century Tomsk became a great scientific center of Siberia. In 1888 the emperor Alexander signed a decree to establish in Tomsk the first University over the Urals. Later technical, pedagogical, medical and architectural Universities appeared in Tomsk.

In 1991 Tomsk was given the status of a historical town. Its protected area is 950 Hectares. This historic-protected part of the town preserved the unique peculiarity of the stone building landscape of XIX century and the wooden development with its ancient thread.

Tomsk Scientific Centre of Russian Scientific Academy is known all over. It consists of a number of well-known in the scientific world Institutes, such as Institute of Optics and Atmosphere, of high-current electronics, physics strength and material science, petroleum chemisorptions and others.

The Governor` s District is area of 36 ha in the historical center of the city. The Governor himself supervises the development of this district which was totally reconstructed recently. The center of this district is now decorated with four mile stone that represent 4 past centuries of the city history. Tomsk citizens love walking along the embankment of rivers Tom and Ushayka where the music fountain is also situated.


Beloe Lake is the lake and a park. One of the most beautiful places in Tomsk. Multi jet fountain, lots of open cafes in summer time, different entertainments for children, catamarans are available.



Novo - Sobornaya Square is one of the major places on the Lenin Avenue. Famous for its large park with flowers, music fountain, monument to Saint Tatiana. Favorite place to spend a free time for Tomsk citizens and our guests.




Regional Drama Theater is the oldest theater of Tomsk, founded in 1885. Located in the city center. Foreign and classic plays.
Location: 4, Lenin Square
Phones: 51-29-04, 51-40-79


Big Philharmonic Hall is situated in the city center. Performances of popular singers and famous theatres. Symphonic music on Sundays is played by the Tomsk symphonic orchestra.
Location: 1, Lenin Square
Phones: 51-51-86, 51-59-56


Tomsk Regional Museum is founded in 1922. The museum building is the monument of architecture located on Lenina Avenue. The former bishopric church now is not only the regional museum, but the organ philharmonic hall as well. Open from 11.00 till 18.00
Location: 77, Lenin Avenue
Phones: 51-30-47, 51-32-75


Tomsk Regional Art Museum is situated in five minutes walk from the city center. It contains about 600 pieces of art, including pictures of Russian and West European artists, icons, graphic arts. Daily exhibitions from 11.00 till 19.00 except Mondays.
Locations: 5, Nakhanovich Street
Phones: 51-33-17, 51-54-19



Voskresenskaya Hill is a place of the city foundation in 1604. Tomsk burg was reconstructed by the city 400 anniversary, fragments of pebble pavement are still preserved. You can visit here the city history museum, several monuments of architecture, Catholic chapel and Orthodox Church.

Copyright (c) 2006 Hotel "EDEM", design "Forma web-service"